- Serving Size: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 apricots, pitted and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
Apricot Honey Butter:
- 8 apricots, pitted and halved
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Whisk together buttermilk, 1/2 cup of the melted butter and eggs.
- In separate bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into buttermilk mixture just until moistened. Fold in apricots and jalapeno.
- Heat 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven for 5 minutes; remove from oven. Add remaining melted butter to skillet; scrape batter into the hot pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cornbread is golden and springs back when lightly touched. Serve warm from skillet.
- Apricot Honey Butter: Meanwhile, place apricots in saucepan with 1/4 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until apricots are very tender and falling apart.
- Transfer apricots to food processor or use hand blender to pulse until smooth. Remove any pieces of skin.
- Place apricot purée, sugar and lemon juice in clean saucepan set over medium heat; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in honey and nutmeg (if using). Let cool; serve immediately with cornbread. Or transfer to jar, cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Family Tree Farms - Our Mission is to Consistently Produce, Package and Market the Most Flavorful Fruit in the World.